Pet Odor Treatments
As a pet owner, you may find yourself facing a pet urine issue on your carpet. Ayoub Carpet Service technicians are experts at treating and removing pet urine odors. In some cases, it may be possible to remove the actual stain, however, there are many variables in the success of the removal. Whether you own an antique Oriental, Persian, Chinese, Indian, Turkish, or domestic made rug, we can also tackle any pet urine damage.
Carpet odor treatment process:
- A neutralizer along with an odor counteractant will be poured onto the urine soaked spot to breakdown the alkaline salts in the urine and encapsulate the odor molecules.
- Once the neutralizer and odor counteractant have time to dwell, the carpet is flushed out and extracted with the WATER CLAW Sub-Surface Spot Lifter.
- After the spot has been thoroughly flushed out, the carpet is treated for normal cleaning.
Oriental/area rug odor treatment process:
- Rugs are treated similarly to wall to wall carpet however the rugs are brought back to our in-plant rug cleaning facility located in Chantilly, VA.
- We soak the damaged area or entire rug in the neutralizer and odor counteractant treatments to dwell for several hours then immerse the rug in fresh water and hand-wash with an approved wool-safe shampoo.
- The rug is then thoroughly flooded with cold fresh water to rinse out all soils and contaminants.
- Nap is then groomed and ready for drying in our climate controlled drying room.
- Once dried the rug is inspected for maximum results and re-washed if necessary. Like a sponge, rugs require lots of flushing and squeezing to remove residues.
Urine can negatively affect the dyes used in carpets, sometimes causing immediate discoloration. In its original acid state, urine begins to oxidize and react with the carpet to cause a color change, also known as a urine stain. As time passes, the pet stain will become increasingly difficult, sometimes impossible to remove. A carpet professional will need to assess the areas of concern in order to determine whether a color restoration treatment is possible.
Pet urine can also damage layers under the carpet, causing separation or decontamination of the backing material. Contact Ayoub Carpet Service for help with pet stains.
Please note: Household cleaning products (i.e. Resolve, Oxyclean, etc.) may set the stain. We do not recommend these.
Another problem, especially with cats, is odor. Unless the urine is completely removed, complete odor removal is unlikely. Enzyme products (available at pet stores and veterinary offices) are effective but better used by a carpet cleaning professional. If the odor cannot be removed, Ayoub Carpet Service can replace the damaged area of carpet. The replacement of cushioning, pads and sub-flooring may also be necessary.
In high humidity, dormant urine odor can re-emerge. The salts and crystals left behind as the urine dries are hydrophilic, attracting moisture. Once this moisture evaporates, ammonia gas is released into the air. This is why cleaning existing urine stains may not completely remove the associated odor. In fact, it could temporarily increase the odor in the environment.
Contact Ayoub Carpet Service for professional help with pet, mold, mildew and odor damage to the carpet in your home.